First off, what are layers? Layered haircuts involve hair cut cut into variable lengths, around the face or all around the head. This is in contrast to blunt cut hair, where hair is one length all around.
Hairstyles with layers are almost universally flattering and one of the most popular cuts for a reason. The multiple lengths work for every face shape and all hair types (except one).
Still not convinced? Here are the top 10 reasons to get layered hairstyles:
1. Face Shape – There are 5 types of face shapes: round, square, long, triangular, and oval. Oval is the considered to be the ideal form and those lucky ladies can rock any hairstyle.
What your stylist is trained to do is cut hair to give the appearance of the oval face shape and layers are the main way to achieve this. Shorter layers cut around the face not only draw attention to the eyes but flatter every face shape. For long hair, the updated version of “the Rachel” with chin length layers suit most people.
2. Volume – Next to the oval face shape, the most desired quality in hair is volume. Full hair is a gorgeous frame for the face and looks healthy and vibrant.
Layers lighten up hair, which add height at the crown and all around. For longer hair, go for layers that start from the middle of hair and gradually taper in various layers until the ends.
3. Body – In shampoo commercials, models always shake their hair out in shining, voluminous waves. That’s body – when hair flows, bounces, and shines in the light. The way to get gorgeous body for your hair is layers!
4. Straight Hair – Straight hair is the best candidate for layered hairstyles. Layers add life, texture, and body to flat hair. They work for every length of hair, from short all the way to very long. To get even more volume, add loose waves or curls to hair.
5. Wavy Hair – Layers bring out the natural texture of hair, showing off those gorgeous natural waves. As any woman with wavy hair knows, too much weight pulls hair down and straightens it out closer to the roots. Layers cut at different lengths lighten up hair and enhance gorgeous waves all around the head.
6. Curly Hair – For curly hair, layers are an absolute must. Left on it’s own, curly hair takes on that dreaded triangle shape and often in tangles. Like with wavy hair, layered hairstyles add gorgeous shape, life, and control to curly hair.
7. Thick Hair – A full head of hair is a gift. Until it’s just too much. Thick hair can become a heavy veil, especially when worn in a blunt cut straight across.
Lighten it up with layers! Cutting layers at various lengths and angles removes weight and bulk from thick hair.
8. Coarse Hair – Layers are the answer for unmanageable coarse hair. Layered hairstyles result in softer, livelier hair with touchable texture. Make the most of layering with regular conditioning treatments.
9. Hair Color – Layers emphasize highlights, ombre hair, and this seasons hot dip dye. Get layers cut before dying hair anything but one color to make sure ends don’t get mismatched. This works for natural sunny highlights, lowlights, and the bright colors like pink and blue.
10. Styling – Layers are beautiful when hair is worn up or down, curled or straight. The different lengths of layers pump of the volume of curls all over. The graduation is also visible in updos, ponytails, half up hairstyles, and everything in between.
There you have it. Layered hairstyles are easy to wear, versatile, and ultra flattering for everyone. Keep reading for more gorgeous haircuts with layers!