Getting gorgeous curls is a combination of 2 things: a layered haircut and treating hair right. We’ve got you covered on both fronts with 10 gorgeous layered curly hairstyles plus 5 steps to fighting frizz and keeping curly hair happy and healthy.
Best Layered Hairstyles for Curly Hair
Layers are what give this curly hairstyle its gorgeous shape and springy coils. A few short layers provide a few side swept bangs that are lovely left out when hair is pulled up or back.
Long Layered Hairstyles for Curly Hair
When curly hair is really long, it can be become heavy and prone to tangles. Even long layers, shoulder length and longer, can lighten up the load and bring back bounce and curl.
Curly Hairstyles with Bangs
Cuts that combine long hair with short layers are fun and sassy. This version keeps hair the same length around the head with longer curls at the back and shoulders. Make this hairstyle your own by adding highlights!
Curly Long Hair
For more tighter curls, layers are longer to keep hair from getting poufy and frizzy. This cut concentrates volume around the shoulders rather than on top of the head.
Hairstyles for Curly Hair with Layers
Your stylist uses layers can build volume or length. This gorgeous cut combines the two and adds an a few short strands of side swept bangs.
Layered Curly Hairstyles
Getting volume is a daily battle for straight hair but is one of the perks of curly hair. Layers can pump up the volume even more, like this gorgeous big hair style that only works for curly-haired girls.
Layers for Curly Hair
Too much length can weigh curly hair down and straighten out the ends. Layers of multiple lengths revive curly texture and bring back volume and wave all over the head.
Long Curly Hairstyles
The fabulous thing about layers is they make curly hair so easy to style and wear. Cutting out weight but not length, reducing drying time and minimizing the amount of product you need.
Bob Hairstyles for Curly Hair
Layered hairstyles for curly hair work at every length - from short to long. This medium length bob frames the face with long layers at the chin and uses the volume of curls to add angle up at the back.
Medium Layered Hairstyles for Curly Hair
We all know cutting curly hair one length results in a triangle shape but here subtle layering creates the appearance of a uniform length cut.
1. The best shampoo for curly hair is no shampoo at all! Shampooing dries out already dry curly hair even more so skip the shampoo oas much as possible. Start with every other day and work up to once a week. When shampooing, use a moisturizing option formulated for curly hair like DevaCurl No-Poo Cleanser or Aveda Be Curly Shampoo.
On off days, just rinse hair before adding conditioner.
2. Bringing out the best in curls and fighting frizz starts in the shower. Look for sulfate free formulas like L’Oréal EverCurl Hydracharge Cleansing Conditioner or Devacurl One Condition Conditioner. Leave conditioner on for 5 minutes before rinsing out. Using lukewarm to cold water is gentle on hair.
3. A second dose of conditioner keeps curls healthy and provides another barrier to frizz. Out of the shower, gently squeeze water out of hair and detangle with a wide-tooth comb. Starting an inch from the scalp, work a leave-in conditioner to the tips. Ouidad Moisture Lock Leave-in Conditioner is an excellent formula that forms a humidity-resistant barrier.
4. The next step in frizz fighting: Keeping the cuticle of every strand closed so moisture in the air can’t get in. After the leave-in conditioner, rub in a serum to damp hair. We recommend Redken Outshine 01 Anti-Frizz Polishing Milk or a few drops of Moroccan Oil Hair Treatment.
5. Treat yourself to a deep conditioning treatment once a week for long lasting moisture and frizz fighting power. Check out this easy DIY tutorial and use the best product out there – Kerastase Nutritive Masquintense.